Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Emily's 13th Birthday



Today my oldest turns 13, and it's sad yet so exciting. Thirteen wonderful years, though at times she makes me crazy. I think that's a trait we daughters pass on, just to be sure the next generation gets their fair share of turmoil.


Em is such an easy-going personality most of the time. To look so much like me (only darker skin, hair, eyes like her Daddy), yet be so opposite in personality is amazing. Everything I like, she hates. And vice versa. She is ANTI-PINK, how crazy is that? She prefers talking on her cell phone and painting her nails black, while I hate telephones and never have time to do my nails. She's disorganized whereas I'm on the verge of OCD. And she teaches me so much about myself, when I can get her to come out of her bedroom.


I adore my daughter, and it brings tears to my eyes to think that 5 years from now, she'll be at college turning 18. I hope that as she gets older, she'll realize that it's beauty within that is important, not Abercrombie or Hollister. That the only things that matter in life are what you've achieved and not what has been handed to you. That there are no free rides. That hard work pays off, maybe not today or tomorrow, but in the end. That 99% of the time, Momma was right. That Character DOES Count. And that PINK is beautiful.


So I hope you enjoy looking back at how she's grown with me. Unfortunately, there are no digital baby photos of her, so these start at about age 2.

Finding Easter Eggs, 1998



In Kindergarten, 2000



One of my all-time favorite photos, waiting for the School Bus, Spring 2001




With little sister Niki in Uncle Kenny's Wedding, August 2001





At her 7th Birthday Party, a "Mermaid" theme pool party, 2002




Off to School, 1st Grade




Being crazy with Little Sister, 2002. Blackmail material?



As a Fairy for Halloween, 3rd Grade, with Chandler as we head to HarvestFest at the Elementary School



Christmas 2003



Summer 2008, holding her cousin Brooke while visiting Grandma & Grandpa James


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm on a mommyfest blogtrip. I saw your post on another blogger's site and wanted to pop in and say hi to you as well.
I have a 14 year old who has been "discovering" herself this past year. She told me once that she was going to dress goth because it was who she is and there was nothing I could do about it. Lol, silly little child. Of course, I knew how to talk her out of that one, thank you God.

Joyce's Journey said...

I loved the pictures of your daughter growing up. She is just beautiful and you should be very proud. I have a 14 yo daughter who also went thru the Abercrombie/Hollister stage. Mine just started high school and uniqueness is now the thing. While she likes to dress in an "acceptable" fashion, she is truly her own person in her actions - a trait I worked so very hard to her to acquire. This mom-thing is not easy, but the best job I've ever had. Thanks for sharing your little girl. I enjoyed very much!