Friday, August 1, 2008

Bugs

Grrr!! I love summer, but with it comes BUGS. Even being out on a screened porch, they manage to find me. I have one of those body chemistries that just screams "bite me", I guess, as they will find me wherever I hide. And if I happen to be outside, I'm doomed. Gnats everywhere, mosquito bites miraculously appearing out of thin air... my Caladryl is my best friend in summer.

For 2 weeks I have anxiously been awaiting the full bloom of 5 big pink roses on one stalk, that I could cut them and put them in the house. Yesterday, I noticed that 4 were opened and ready to come in, and when I went out to cut them off, they were full of Japanese Beetles. Yuck!! And I mean burrowed down in the petals. There were 4 in just one rose. And the roses themselves were eaten full of holes. Heartbreak. Obviously my "Sevin" bug spray wasn't working, it's time to go a little more toxic, I think.

So as I sit here on the screened porch typing and looking at my roses, and all of the spiderwebs the sun is highlighting in the corner of the porch, and noticing a new bite on my arm that itches, I wish once again that the bugs would let me enjoy the summer and being outside. For now, I'll remain in my little cage here off the back of the house.

No comments: